Which study lamp is best for students?
Determining the best desk lamp, whether for your library, office or studying can be a daunting task.
But, why is it so?
When choosing a good desk lamp, there are several factors to consider such as the quality of the light, brightness, long battery life, etc.
Besides, there are different types of desk lamps out there so it can be challenging to choose the right one for yourself.
However, it doesn’t have to be.
John Howard, the author of the blog post of the top best essay writing reviews argues that the best desk lamp for reading or studying should give you enough light so that you don’t strain your eyes. The lamp should also enable you to stay focused.
So, how do you choose the best desk lamp for studying, you may ask?
In this quick guide, we’re going to discuss a few tips to help you buy a suitable study lamp that will help to enhance your studies and improve your performance.
Let’s get started.
Know The Types of Desk Lamp
There are different bulb types out there as mentioned below:
- Halogen lamp: These lamps come with bulbs that produce a bright white usual light that enables you to stay focused while reading/studying. The good thing about these desk lamps is that they minimize eye strain. They also consume less energy compared to standard light bulbs.
- Full-spectrum light bulb: This lamp produces light with exceptional color thus it can be helpful when you want to increase your study performance.
- Fluorescent bulb: The lamp comes in a variety of shapes and styles thus you can easily get one that matches your décor. The good thing about this lamp is that it produces an ordinary-looking light and is very efficient than usual bulbs. Besides, it doesn’t generate too much warmth.
- LED lamp: LED desk lamps come in unique designs and produce less warmth than the other lamps above.
These are the most common desk lamps currently since they last long and consume less energy. Of course, they are a little bit more costly than all the bulbs mentioned above.
- Incandescent desk lamp: This type of desk lamp is built with a filament that burns inside a classic light bulb to produce light. It can be a great desk lamp for all-nighters, especially in cold areas. It’s one of the most cost-efficient bulbs although the bulb doesn’t last.
Consider the Color Temperature
Having understood the different types of desk lamps, the next thing is to consider the color temperature. Of course, this depends on your suitability or preference.
Generally, warm colors are around 3000K whereas the white lights range between 3500K to 6500K. When it comes to color temperature, you can choose a lamp that looks like during sunrise, sunrise, white, blue, etc.
Consider the Adjustability
The desk lamp you choose should be adjustable. There is no point in choosing a lamp that can’t be lengthened or focused on specific areas.
Remember that how you use the lamp will vary from day to day. In some cases, you might want to focus your lamp on a particular area or screen, and in some other cases, you might want to focus it on another area.
No matter how great the lamp is, if it’s not adjustable, it won’t help your studies.
Consider the Brightness of the Desk Lamp
When choosing the best desk lamp for students, you will come across two terms: Wattage and lux.
Don’t get confused. These two terms indicate how bright the lamp is.
Wattage is a measure of the amount of power needed to light the bulb and lux is the brightness the bulb generates.
In this case, you need to avoid lamps with bulbs that produce too much brightness or far less brightness. Too much brightness can make studying uncomfortable and low lighting can make you strain your eyes.
Consider The Size
When buying a desk lamp, the size matters. The bigger lamps aren’t always the best. So, refrain from buying huge lamps but consider your desk and your study needs.
Essentially, your lamp shouldn’t be too low or too high above your head level. Find a good balance between your head level and the lamp.
Consider Power Type
There are desk lamps with cords and without cords. Which one do you want? This boils down to your personal and practical needs. The good news is that there are plenty of LED desk lamps with rechargeable USB ports and battery-powered lamps out there so you have plenty of options to choose from.
Consider the Material
You don’t want a desk lamp that will scatter into pieces when it falls accidentally. For this reason, you need to choose a lamp made with quality and durable material. Most desk lamps these days come with a flexible metal neck covered in plastic, ceramic, etc.