6. Decrypting Technical Features
Light output, lifetime, color rendering index, color temperature … Here are the features to consider when choosing your lights. Check also our page “How to Choose the Right Lightbulb” and our Energy saving calculator
The energy efficiency class
To determine if your lighting is “eco” or not, just to observe how energy class it belongs. There are seven different categories ranging from the letter A to G. The letter A indicates that the product is very economical.
The luminous flux mentioned in lumens (lm)
This unit of measurement of low energy light bulbs indicates how much light your lamp will emit.
The estimated life in hours
It is estimated that the fluorescent lamps have a life of between 4 000 and 15 000 hours while the halogen lamps show a lifetime of 2 000 to 4 000 hours. The LEDs are the world champions in the field with nearly 100 000 hours for white lights.
The color rendering index (CRI)
The index defines the ability of a lamp do we distinguish all colors. The maximum value of IRC 100, which corresponds to daylight. IRC is mentioned on the lights with a three-digit code that brings IRC and color temperature. Only the first figure refers to the IRC.
The color temperature indicated in Kelvin (K)
With this information, you will be able to see if your fixture has a light warm, cool or neutral. A lamp offers a temperature of said warm color when it is less than 3300 K. It is intermediate between 3300 K and 5300 K and cold when above.
7. Time Operation of Light
Your light will he sought daily, regularly or occasionally? Answering this question will help you know what kind of lighting you need to invest. Indeed, if you want to light a bedroom or a loft that is not used every day, an entry-level fixture will be more than enough. But if you plan to install it in a living room, better to focus on a quality fixture and choose the type of bulbs that will be most suitable. Check also our page “How to Choose the Right Lightbulb“.
- Incandescent bulbs: They must disappear due to energy saving.
- CFL or Compact Fluorescent Lamp: 5 times less energy than other ampoules, life: between 4 000 and 15 000 hours.
- LED or Light Emitting Diode: Bright light and directed, life 100 000 hours.
8. Safety Rules
When buying a luminaire, it is essential to check that it has the CE marking is the responsibility of the manufacturer. Besides its power and voltage, the class of the luminaire must be stated clearly.
There are three classes:
Class 1: Mandatory connection to a ground terminal.
Class 2: The luminaire is equipped with double insulation at the socket and its connection domino on the sector. It does not benefit from grounding device.
Class 3: There is a supply 12 to 24 volts on average. The fixture must be wired to a transformer causing a separation of the network. At the point of electrical contact, the electrical risk is up to 48 volts.
Note that most of the major lighting brands sell standard equipment with electrical certificates of conformity by independent organisms.
In terms of lighting, better be careful. Indeed, handling an electric object assumed to take precautions:
- Interrupting the electric circuit during installation of a luminaire.
- If you change a light bulb, wait until the lamp is cooled.
- Be careful not to put your fixture in contact with water.
- To clean a light fixture, use an anti-static cloth.
9. Tips and Tricks
- Use low consumption bulbs to achieve energy savings. You thus will lighten your electricity bill!
- The power emitted by a light mainly depends on the choice of the bulb. The more watts will be higher and more powerful will be your lamp.
- Avoid placing a light source at least 30 cm of a houseplant. Doing so may burn. Opt for compact fluorescent lamps produce less heat than halogen lamps.
10. Related Product
The presence detector
Very practical, the presence detector can trigger the light as soon as you enter a room. Attic, basement, garage … This type of equipment is very good for energy savings because it goes off when you leave the room. Outside, the presence detector is very valuable at night!